Training News

TCP Training News has the latest Information on our Short Courses, Online Courses & Industry News.

RSA certification in Australia

What is RSA?

It is mandatory in Australia to undergo Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training and get certified if you will be working in any licensed establishment that offers, serves, sells or supplies alcohol (e.g. pub, restaurant, nightclub). You are not allowed to work in the liquor industry without having undergone and successfully completed your RSA training.

You can do an RSA course online, via correspondence or in a classroom. Which option is right for you depends on the state you will be working in and your preference for learning.

What will RSA training teach you?

Completing RSA training will give you insight in the following topics:

  • facts about alcohol
  • blood alcohol content
  • how to serve responsible
  • handling customers who have been affected by alcohol
  • identifying customers who should get cut off from further alcohol consumption
  • problems associated with excessive consumption
  • alcohol and the law
  • the question who is responsible for RSA
  • improving the atmosphere in the premises
After completing the RSA course, you will understand legal responsibilities associated with the service of alcohol and will be ready and able to serve and sell liquor in licensed premises.

What type of jobs do you need your RSA certification for?
  • Bartender
  • Cocktail Bartender
  • Steward / stewardess
  • Cellar hand
  • Glass collector
  • Bottle shop attendant
  • Waiting staff in restaurant
  • Event staff
What are the RSA requirements per Australian State?

Every Australian state / territory has its own liquor licensing body and in some cases its own RSA accreditation.

The image for this blog provides a handy overview  of the options available for your RSA certification around Australia.

As you can see Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, ACT, Tasmania and Northern Territory accept online delivery of the National RSA course.

Victoria does not currently recognise online as a valid medium for this type of training. Students can do a simple bridging course to obtain RSA certification for this state if they bring their Statement of Attainment (SOA) from any other state.

In Sydney and the rest of New South Wales, it is possible to do you RSA via email correspondence. RSA correspondence is a great solution for students who cannot get to a training venue and/or find a suited time in the course schedule. Students in this situation can use an online learning system, download necessary RSA documents, record videos, study remotely and complete compulsory assessment activities. Once all is completed, students submit their work for an inspector to go over and mark.

Another way of gaining your NSW RSA certification is face-to-face, through a classroom course. Once the course is successfully completed, students will receive a Statement of Attainment for SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol. This Unit of Competency is Nationally Recognised Training.

Where can you get RSA certified?

You can do your RSA course with an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO). TCP Training is a well-established RTO and has training centres conveniently located in Sydney CBD, Dee Why (Sydney Northern Beaches) and Granville (Sydney West) so if you are looking to do your RSA online course, RSA correspondence course or classroom RSA course in Sydney, book with TCP Training today!


Read More

​Anyone for a Summer Job?

It’s officially the silly season! We have come out of hibernation, many companies have Christmas parties or end of year functions and of course Summer always brings an increase in events and tourism. It is therefore no surprise that many service based businesses are looking for new staff to start ASAP! In fact there are more than 1,500 jobs in Hospitality, Tourism and Food Service (based in Sydney) being advertised right now!! So are you looking for a new job, a second job to earn some extra cash or a promotion or pay rise? 

Read More

How To Apply For Your NSW RSA Competency Card

So you’ve done your RSA and/or your RCG courses for NSW with TCP Training and you passed - awesome!! Well done! This means that you now need to think about applying for your photo competency card. And you may need to do it quickly - did you know that there are certain areas that require you to have the competency card when you start working in their venue (the interim certificate is not enough). Most of the time however, you can start work as soon as you have passed your course.  

Read More

Jobs Available With An RSA Certificate

If you are thinking of taking your Responsible Service of Alcohol certification you might be interested to know just how many career opportunities one RSA course can open up for you. Having completed your day long course with TCP Training, you can then apply for a host of jobs throughout the hospitality industry - some of which you may not realise you need an RSA certificate for. 

Read More

training course professionals travellers at work ultimate travel tcp training sydney rockfish catamaran hire sydney bar school nsw white card courses sydney