Food Hygiene Course Sydney
SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety (formally SITXFSA001 & SITXFSA101)
Book your Food Hygiene course online, or for further information call 02 9232 1010 or send us a message.
Identity Requirements (Mandatory)
Students must be able to provide valid Photo ID.
Food Hygiene Pre-requisites
- Students will need a USI number to complete the course. To apply for a USI or find your number, visit https://www.usi.gov.au/.
- Students must have at least a basic understanding of English to be permitted into class.
Book your Food Hygiene Course Now
Food Hygiene Course Details
By law, food handlers must have the skills and knowledge relevant to their food duties to keep food safe (e.g. a chef will need greater food safety skills and knowledge than a waiter or kitchen hand).
The Food Hygiene course will allow staff to gain an understanding of food hygiene practices. It is an excellent entry level course for all staff handling food including kitchen staff, house keepers and staff handling food and beverage.
This Food Hygiene course will provide you with all the skills and understanding needed to successfully practice food hygiene, including:
- Food contamination
- Causes of food poisoning
- Personal Hygiene
- Control of pests
- ANZFA guide to food safety standards
- Implementing Acts and regulations
- Cleaning, storage and prevention
Download the full details on legislation from Food Authority.
- All students must have valid photo ID on the day of training.
- Training must be conducted over a minimum period of 4 hours not including breaks.
- Due to Food Hygiene being a Government Initiative, students will have to complete ALL training hours required. Insufficient ID and being over 10 minutes late (including from lunch breaks) will automatically deem the student ineligible to start the course on that date. Students will need to contact our office to rebook and process any relevant rescheduling fee in line with our policy.
Food Hygiene Assessment
Within the 4 hours of the accredited course, students will be required to complete multiple choice questions, short answer questions and a practical assessment in English throughout the day. Students will receive lunch breaks which is not included in the 4 hours and will be permitted to eat the food prepared in class. Students are offered multiple opportunities to demonstrate their knowledge and skills throughout the course to deem them competent across the unit.
There are 3 components to this Food Hygiene program:
- Theoretical training in the classroom (Multiple Choice & Short Answer)
- Practical training in the kitchen (preparing food at our venue)
- Assessment for both knowledge and skills
This Food Hygiene course combines plain English, videos, photos, and questioning to ensure all learners can have the best possible chance at comprehending the required knowledge and skills.
Assessments MUST be completed in English and with no further assistance. If you believe you will need assistance due to your Language, Literacy or Numeracy skills, please contact our office on 02 9232 1010 to discuss your training needs.
If a student is not successful in completing all assessments satisfactorily, they will need to rebook the Food Hygiene course at a $50 NYC Fee.
Food Hygiene Certification
Once student is deemed competent, they will be issued a SOA (Statement of Attainment) within 24 hours of the training (may take longer on weekends).
Students will be issued with a Statement of Attainment for:
- SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety (formally SITXFSA001 & SITXFSA101)
This Units of Competency is Nationally Recognised Training from Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package. Food Hygiene certificates are emailed to students however hard copy is available for additional fee.
The Food Hygiene Course should be renewed when the Employer states it is necessary.
The cost for the Food Hygiene course is $100.
View the Food Hygiene Refund Policy.
Courses are subject to a $10 non-refundable enrolment fee.
TCP Training is not registered with CRICOS however all one day courses are excluded from CRICOS.
If organising staff training or onsite training, we can facilitate the Food Hygiene course nationally. You can also request to enrol staff using a company invoice.Book Now
Food Hygiene Training Locations
The Food Hygiene course is delivered at the following Sydney and Central Coast training locations -
- TCP Training Pty Ltd,
Suite 1, Level 7 Dymocks Building, 428 George Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
For directions, transport and parking information, please visit the Sydney Training Locations page.
Food Hygiene FAQs
- What is the difference between the Food Safety Supervisor Course and the Food Hygiene Course?
The Food Safety Supervisor Course involves more content, and you receive a hardcopy Food Safety Certificate on the same day. This can make you more employable and valuable in the workplace.
- Do you offer the refresher course?
This is counted as a refresher course! You simply complete the course again, however you will be able to complete it quicker as you already have experience.
- When do I get my certificate?
You will receive your Statement of Attainment via email the same day.
- When does my certificate expire?
There is no specific timeframe or refresher period however the Australian New Zealand Food Standard code 3.2.2A FOOD SAFTEY MANAGEMENT TOOLS recommends regular refresher training. Your employer/workplace may have a specific timeframe of their choosing, so we would recommend consulting them.
General Course FAQs
- When is my booking confirmed?
Your booking is confirmed once we receive full payment of course fees. Unfortunately there are rare occasions where the course will sell out prior to you finalising payment. In this situation a member of our customer service team will get in contact to organise an alternate training date.
- What are your payment methods?
Payment can be made at the time of booking using either a credit card, EFTPOS or cash. Invoices and acceptance of company cheques is by prior arrangement only.
- Can I pay my package in installments?
Unfortunately we cannot offer this service, full payment of course fees are required at the time of booking. The good news is that we try to always offer value for money and keep course fees affordable, so you know that you are always getting good value, especially with our package deals which offer reduced prices!
- I want to book in multiple staff and/or want a company invoice?
We can book multiple people at once and create company invoices, even for individual students. Please just email our bookings team – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following information; the course, location and date you wish to enroll them in, full names and unique emails of those who will attend and the company's legal name, address, ABN and contact.
- What if I have trouble with written/spoken english?
Most courses will permit a student to bring a friend to interpret for them during training. If you do need assistance, we ask that you contact first before booking your course so we can advise if there are any restrictions. For example, Forklift training requires students to complete all assessments in English.
If the course permits, you may bring a friend along to the course or, alternatively, you can phone the National Translation service to book an interpreter. Visit the Immigration website for more information about help with translating.
- What is your COVID-19 Policy?
Following NSW Health Guidelines, TCP Training implements Policies and Procedures to help keep our community safe, for more information click here.
- Can Centrelink pay for me?
What you need to do is register with your local Job Network Agent. Your Employment Consultant will make the booking with us on your behalf and arrange payment with us directly. Unfortunately Centrelink does not pay directly.